Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake might be in “serious trouble” after three years into development. Aspyr Media has put the game on pause, with some devs thinking it will be taken over by another studio.
- Two studio heads told employees this month that the KotOR remake is on pause and “delayed indefinitely”, Bloomberg reported on July 26.
- According to sources familiar with the matter, Aspyr will look for “new contracts and development opportunities.”
- The troubles started after Aspyr finished a vertical slice of Knights of the Old Republic on June 30. Despite developers being happy with the results, the company fired design director Brad Prince and art director Jason Minor the following week.
- One person told Bloomberg that Aspyr thought that the game’s current course wasn’t sustainable. On top of that, the studio’s heads were not satisfied with a “disproportionate amount of time and money” that had gone into the demo.
- The scheduling was another stumbling block. Aspyr initially planned to launch the KotOR remake later this year, but developers said that 2025 would be a more realistic release date.
- Some Aspyr devs think that Saber Interactive will eventually take over the project.
It is worth noting that both studios are now part of Embracer Group. Last year, the Swedish holding company bought Aspyr Media for $100 million. The KotOR remake developer became a wholly owned subsidiary of Saber Interactive.
The remake of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic was announced last year, but no gameplay footage has been shown ever since. In May 2022, Embracer revealed that Saber will join the game, so it would be no surprise if the studio will take over development completely.