Apptica has published a report on the state of the global mobile games market in the first half of 2023. Here are the key findings on the biggest titles, genres, and countries by revenue and downloads.
Apptica’s Mobile games: State of the market H1, 2023 study is based on data from the App Store and Google Play (excluding third-party Android stores) collected between January 1 and June 30.
Mobile downloads in H1 2023
- India remained the number one country by downloads, with 4.32 billion installs (or 15.29% of the total). It is followed by Brazil (10.59%), the US (9.08%), Russia (6.71%), Indonesia (5.9%), and China (4.59%).
- Egypt (1.06 billion downloads) and Argentina (1.19 billion) entered the top 15, replacing Saudi Arabia and Thailand. The latter experienced a drastic decline, leaving the ranking with only 357.4 million installs.
Top 15 countries by downloads in H1 2023 (via Apptica)
- Casual was the number one genre by downloads, with 4.15 billion. It is followed by Action (3.9 billion), Simulation (3.27 billion), Puzzle (3.11 billion), and Arcade (2.27 billion).
- However, almost all genres experienced a decline in installs. According to Apptica, categories with a positive trend were Puzzle (+90 million downloads), Casino (+121 million), and Card (+87 million).
Top 15 genres by downloads in H1 2023 (via Apptica)
- Subway Surfers was the most downloaded game on Android, with 116.5 million installs, followed by Candy Crush Saga (106.3 million) and Free Fire (88 million).
- The iOS top 3 titles by downloads include Eggy Party (32.2 million), Royal Match (20.2 million), and Roblox (19.5 million).
Mobile revenue in H1 2023
- The US was the leader in terms of revenue, generating $5.71 billion in the first half of 2023 (26.61% of the total). It is followed by Japan (19.43%), China (15.05%), Germany (3.66%), the UK (3.31%), and France (3.13%).
- Australia ($294.2 million) and Vietnam ($324.3 million) entered the top 15, while Russia left the ranking and South Korea experienced the biggest decline in revenue compared to H1 2022.
Top 15 countries by revenue in H1 2023 (via Apptica)
- Despite falling 25.4% year-over-year to $4.4 billion, RPG was the number one genre in terms of revenue. It is followed by Strategy ($2.83 billion), Action ($2.3 billion), Adventure ($2.01 billion), and Casual ($1.93 billion).
Top 15 genres by revenue in H1 2023 (via Apptica)
- Coin Master was the highest-grossing game on Android, with $228 million in revenue, followed by Candy Crush Saga ($220 million) and Roblox ($167 million).
- The iOS top 3 titles by revenue include Honor of Kings ($766 million), PUBG Mobile ($344 million), and Genshin Impact ($209 million).
More insights and data can be found in the full report.