Focus Entertainment has announced the acquisition of WW1 Game Series, known for military shooters like Verdun and Tannenberg. The team will become the sixth development studio to join the French publisher.
Focus Entertainment will take M2H’s majority stake in Dutch company WW1 Game Series B.V., the company said in an announcement.
WW1 Game Series also includes BlackMill Games. Its founder and creative director Jos Hoebe will keep the remaining 33.33% stake and will continue to run the studio. Following the acquisition the company will operate solely as BlackMill Games B.V.
WW1 Game Series will be Focus Entertainment’s sixth development division. The other five studios are:
- Deck13, a German developer best known for creating action RPGs The Surge and Lords of the Fallen;
- Dotemu, a French studio and publisher known for making remakes of classic titles like Streets of Rage 4 and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge;
- Douze Dixièmes, a French studio known for its puzzle platformer Shady Part of Me;
- Leikir Studio, a French team behind Metal Slug Tactics;
- Streum On Studio, a French studio that developed E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy and Necromunda: Hired Gun.
Through the WW1 Game Series acquisition, Focus plans to expand its gaming portfolio and strengthen its position in the area of realistic military shooters. According to Hoebe, the deal will help the studio “reach its full potential” and open new opportunities for the team.
Big news from the WW1 Game Series front pic.twitter.com/3bVEKykfPu
— 1 DAY UNTIL ISONZO – WW1 Game Series (@WW1GameSeries) September 12, 2022
Based in the Netherlands, BlackMill Games is best known for its WW1 Game Series franchise. It consists of two multiplayer FPS inspired by the First World War, Verdun and Tannenberg. The studio’s new game, Isonzo, is dedicated to the Italian Front and will come out on September 13.