Nintendo has disclosed new data on the sales of its games. While Mario Kart 8 and Animal Crossing continue to generate huge numbers as expected, Metroid Dread is on the way to becoming the biggest-selling title of the whole franchise.
The Japanese game company revealed the numbers in its financial report for the nine-month period ended December 31, 2021.
So here is the updated information on some of Nintendo’s biggest-selling first-party games during these nine months / to date:
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild — 3.85 million units / 25.8 million units
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons — 4.99 million / 37.6 million
- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury — 3.26 million / 8.85 million
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe — 7.96 million / 43.3 million
- Metroid Dread — 2.74 million
- Super Mario Odyssey — 2.1 million / 23 million
As noted by Niko Partners senior analyst Daniel Ahmad, Metroid Dread will soon become the best-selling game in the series. Right now, it sits only behind Metroid Prime (2.84 million units to date) and has already surpassed the original Metroid for NES (2.73 million).
To put ‘niche’ into perspective, here are Mario Kart 8 Deluxe’s sales on the same chart for reference, lol pic.twitter.com/VKPYecEO7e
— Daniel Ahmad (@ZhugeEX) February 3, 2022
It is worth noting that Metroid has always been a niche IP for Nintendo, so there is no surprise that it will ever outsell global hits like Mario. Interestingly, Metroid was popular predominantly in the West and has never been a big seller in Nintendo’s home country Japan. So these are great results from this perspective.