Steam has always been a good place for indie games, and this market keeps growing every year. According to a new piece of analysis from VG Insights, indie titles make up 40% of all units sold on Valve’s store.
- 96% of games on Steam are indies, but they generate only 28% of total revenues due to them being cheaper than AAA titles.
- 26,000 of indie games don’t even reach 300 units sold. However, 53% of all indie titles manage to sell over 300 copies.
- Indie games only account for 30% of active players on Steam, as modern AAA titles entice users to play longer hours.
The full study can be found here.
- How game’s first-week revenue on Steam correlates with year one revenue
- Charlie Oscar founder on definition of ‘indie’ and being €100K short ahead of Gremlins, Inc. release
- Developers share their impressions of Steam Deck: “Honestly a bit of a game-changer for me”
- SNKRX dev compares its average playtime to other roguelites, with Slay the Spire being absolute leader