Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 has been a huge success for Sony and Insomniac Games. It took the title just 24 hours to set a new sales record for any game in the history of PlayStation Studios.
According to Sony Interactive Entertainment, Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 has sold more than 2.5 million units in its first day. This makes it the fastest-selling first-party game in PlayStation history.
“On behalf of Sony Interactive Entertainment, I want to say thank you to the fans — we truly hope you are enjoying your time playing as Peter and Miles in this amazing adventure,” SIE senior VP of global marketing, sales, and business operations Eric Lempe said in a statement.
— PlayStation (@PlayStation) October 23, 2023
Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 came out on PlayStation 5 on October 20. It received critical acclaim, with an average score of 91/100 on Metacritic.
As of May 15, 2022, the first two titles in the series — Marvel’s Spider-Man and Miles Morales — had sold more than 33 million units globally. With the new game’s launch sales, it solidifies its status as one of the most successful franchises in PlayStation Studios’ portfolio.
Fastest-selling first-party games from PlayStation Studios
- Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 — over 2.5 million units in its first 24 hours.
- God of War Ragnarök — over 5 million copies sold in five days.
- The Last of Us Part II — over 4 million units sold in three days.
- Marvel’s Spider Man — 3.3 million copies sold in three days.
- God of War (2018) — over 3.1 million units sold in three days.
- Ghost of Tsushima — over 2.4 million copies sold in three days (the fastest-selling new IP from Sony in the previous console generation).
- Uncharted 4 — over 2.7 million units sold in its first week.