The latest installment in the God of War series launched to huge commercial success. Ragnarök has already become the fastest-selling first-party game in PlayStation history.
PlayStation shared the data on Twitter, saying that God of War Ragnarök has reached 5.1 million copies sold as of November 13. This means it took the game only five days to reach this milestone.
— PlayStation (@PlayStation) November 23, 2022
For comparison, the first God of War (2005) had sold more than 4.6 million units globally by June 2012. God of War II and God of War III had reached 4.24 million and 5.2 million copies by that time, respectively.
Launched on November 9, God of War Ragnarök received praise from critics across the globe, getting an average score of 94/100 on Metacritic. It is a direct sequel to God of War (2018), which has sold over 23 million units to date.
Other fastest-selling first-party games from PlayStation
- The Last of Us Part II sold more than 4 million units in the first three days since its launch on June 19, 2020.
- Marvel’s Spider Man reached 3.3 million copies sold during the first three days of release.
- God of War sold more than 3.1 million units globally within three days of its launch on April 20, 2018.
- Uncharted 4’s first-week sales surpassed 2.7 million units worldwide.
- Ghost of Tsushima sold over 2.4 million copies at launch, becoming the fastest-selling new IP from Sony in the previous console generation.