Remnant II is having a successful launch, surpassing the first game in terms of peak concurrent players on Steam. Let’s take a look at its metrics and compare them to other games in Gearbox’s publishing catalog.
Remnant II’s launch
- Launched on July 25, Remnant II has already peaked at 82,742 concurrent users (CCU), according to SteamDB. The game also surpassed 100k concurrent viewers on Twitch.
- Remnant II was the highest-grossing premium game on Steam for the week of July 18-25. In terms of revenue, it managed to outperform free-to-play hits like Apex Legends and PUBG.
Steam’s top sellers (July 18-25), including free-to-play titles
- Gunfire’s new title currently has a “Very Positive” rating on Steam, with 83% of more than 3,000 user reviews being positive. The PC version also holds an average score of 80 on Metacritic.
- Although most players seem to enjoy Remnant II, the main criticism is directed at performance issues. According to Gunfire Games, it was designed “with upscaling in mind”, resulting in low FPS without technologies like DLSS and FSR, even on top-tier hardware.
Some of the negative reviews for Remnant II on Steam
- Remnant II is also available on the Epic Games Store, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X|S. In their tech review, Digital Foundry praised the use of the Nanite geometry system, they noted that console versions also have performance issues.
- Despite the troubles mentioned above, Remnant II had an impressive launch, especially for a $50 AA title. However, this should be no surpise given the success of the first game and the fact that Gunfire Games managed to keep the original formula (procedurally generated maps, co-op, and some soulslike ideas) and improve on it.
- Remnant II has every chance to become a new hit in Embracer Group’s portfolio (its developer, Gunfire Games, is owned by THQ Nordic). The game currently has the highest CCU among all titles from Gearbox Publishing, which is another subsidiary of the Swedish holding company.
Gearbox Publishing’s games by peak CCU (via SteamDB)
How do Remnant II’s metrics compare to its predecessor?
- Remnant: From the Ashes has sold over 1 million units in the first two months since its August 2019, crossing the 3 million mark and surpassing $70 million in revenue by December 2021.
- The game was also claimed by over 10 million players during a free giveaway on the Epic Games Store from August 13 to 20, 2020.
- On Steam, Remnant has an 85% rating based on over 39k user reviews. According to SteamDB, it also peaked at 48,289 concurrent players.
Remnant: From the Ashes
- According to Gunfire Games design director John Pearl, the studio was “really surprised” by how well the first game was received.
- Remnant: From the Ashes also had long-term post-launch support, which included two paid DLCs. Given the sequel’s launch numbers, it could eventually surpass the first game in terms of sales and revenue.