CD Projekt has revealed that Cyberpunk 2077 has now surpassed 20 million units sold. It took the game nearly two years since its botched launch to hit this milestone.
The company shared the news on September 28, thanking players for their support and saying that “over 20 million cyberpunks have been roaming the streets of Night City.”
This means Cyberpunk 2077 has sold two million copies since April 14, when CD Projekt reported that it had reached 18 million units sold.
Over 20 million cyberpunks have been roaming the streets of Night City – partying with Jackie and getting to know Johnny, driving around with Panam and diving with Judy, hanging out with River and listening to Kerry’s songs.
Thank you and we hope to see you all in the Afterlife! pic.twitter.com/ifFLhg6npO
— Cyberpunk 2077 (@CyberpunkGame) September 28, 2022
Cyberpunk 2077 sales dynamics
- The game sold 13 million copies in its first week, adding another 5 million units in the next 15 months and finally reaching the 20-million mark nearly two years since launch.
- This gives a clear indication of the title’s bumpy dynamics, as its sales are far below analysts’ expectations.
- Millions of people bought Cyberpunk 2077 at launch, thanks to all the hype surrounding it. However, the bad technical state of the game caused controversy and affected long tail sales.
- It took CD Projekt nearly two years to improve its ambitious project, fixing bugs and releasing the next-gen versions for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.
What boosted Cyberpunk 2077 sales?
- Cyberpunk: Edgerunners, an animated series created by Studio Trigger and CD Projekt, brought a lot of new players to the game. On top of that, the company also released a 1.6 patch and added some Edgerunners-themed content to Cyberpunk 2077.
- As a result, the game reached 1 million active daily players last week, with its peak concurrent players nearing 100k on Steam. It is the title’s best result since its launch in December 2020.
- CD Projekt RED also announced a Phantom Liberty expansion for Cyberpunk 2077, which is expected to come out next year. So that’s when another spike in sales could happen.