A new data shared by analytics company GfK shows the top 30 best-selling video game brands in UK history. Electronic Arts dominates the list, thanks to its FIFA series.
GfK takes into account boxed sales in the UK since 1995. Over the last 27 years, these top 30 game IPs generated a total revenue of $34 billion (via GamesIndustry.biz).
Top 10 video game brands by revenue in the UK
- FIFA (EA) — 50 titles since 1993
- Call of Duty (Activision Blizzard) — 32 titles since 2003
- Mario (Nintendo) — 109 titles since 1987
- Grand Theft Auto (Rockstar) — 21 titles since 1997
- LEGO (Warner/Lucas/TT Games/Eidos) — 77 titles since 1997
- Star Wars (EA/LucasArts/Warner) — 113 titles since 1983
- The Sims (EA) — 106 titles since 2000
- Pokémon (Nintendo) — 93 titles since 1999
- Assassin’s Creed (Ubisoft) — 27 titles since 2007
- Need for Speed (EA) — 30 titles since 1994
Electronic Arts is an undisputed leader on the chart, being listed as publisher of nine video game franchises in the top 30, including FIFA, Need for Speed, Battlefield, and The Sims. It is followed by Nintendo (5), Warner (5), Sony (4), and Activision Blizzard (3).
FIFA, of course, is the number one brand in the UK, considering its annualized schedule and football’s popularity in the country. Franchises like Call of Duty and Mario unsurprisingly made it to the top 3.
Rockstar sits at fourth place, thanks to the Grand Theft Auto Series. However, the studio owes much of this success to GTA V, which accounts for 40% of the franchise’s overall boxed sales in the UK.