Activision Blizzard is getting closer to settling a lawsuit filed by the US Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) last year. The judge will likely approve a $18 million fund the company created to compensate employees claiming harassment damages.
The Washington Post reported the news, citing a court filing published on March 22.
According to the documents, US District Judge Dale Fischer is satisfied with both the $18 million compensation and nonmonetary provisions, calling them “fair, reasonable, and adequate.”
“Our goal has always been to provide immediate and meaningful compensation to eligible employees who choose to participate and to continue workplace improvements that make Activision Blizzard a model for our industry,” Activision Blizzard said in a statement.
The hearing on the settlement will be held on March 29. If approved, this settlement might be a victory for Activision Blizzard and help the company deflate another lawsuit from the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) filed in July 2021.
Although the DFEH says it will continue to “vigorously prosecute its action against Activision,” the settlement with the EEOC might bar the Department from seeking further damages at the state court level.
Activision Blizzard will have to pay $18 million to people claiming harassment damages and employed by the company no later than September 1, 2016. It will be a clear win for the publisher, which reports billions of dollars in revenue every year.
However, if claimants choose to receive compensation from this $18 million fund, they won’t be able to pursue further damages in the DFEH lawsuit.