Devolver Digital has announced a new M&A deal. The indie publisher now fully owns Doinksoft, a studio known for titles like Gato Roboto.
Devolver shared the news on Twitter, saying that the “world-renowed franchises and talented people at Doinksoft will be joining Team Devolver.” The financial terms of the deal remain undisclosed.
In a separate tweet, the Gato Roboto developer noted that “there is no ‘i’ in ‘indie’,” adding that “Doinksoft is now Devolver’s problem.”
Today is a historic moment. We are excited to announce that the world-renowned franchises and talented people at @doinksoft will be joining Team Devolver! pic.twitter.com/16wP3iH6Ab
— Devolver Digital (@devolverdigital) April 3, 2023
Who is Doinksoft?
- Doinksoft is a US studio, which released its debut game, black and white metroidvania Gato Roboto, in 2019. It was published by Devolver Digital, laying the foundation for the long-term partnership between the companies.
- Later that same year, the team launched Devolver Bootleg, a collection of “rip-offs” of famous Devolver games, which included titles like Hotline Milwaukee and Enter the Gun Dungeon.
- In 2022, Doinksoft released the physical-only retro action game Demon Throttle for Nintendo Switch (it is only available on cartridges).
- Right now, the studio is working on the parkour action adventure title Gunbrella, which is expected to come out later this year.
How many subsidiaries does Devolver Digital have?
Doinksoft is the sixth company to join the Devolver family. Other subsidaries include:
- Croteam — Croatian studio founded in 1992; it is best known for the Serious Sam series and the puzzle game The Talos Principle (acquired by Devolver in October 2020);
- Good Shepherd Entertainment — Dutch publisher, whose founding partners were Devolver Digital co-founders; its portfolio includes titles like Transport Fever, Redeemer, and Hard West (acquired by Devolver in January 2021);
- FireFly Studios — UK game developer founded in 1999; it is best known for the Stronghold series;
- Nerial — UK studio, which rose to fame with its successful strategy card game / medieval king simulator Reigns, as well as its sequels and adventure card title Card Shark;
- Dodge Roll — Washington, DC-based developer known for its bullet hell / roguelike hit Enter the Gungeon.
The three later studios, FireFly, Nerial, and Dodge Roll, were acquired by Devolver Digital in November 2021 after the company went public.