Anime-style games are one of the highest-grossing categories on mobile. In 2021, these titles generated $16.97 billion globally, according to the latest data.ai report.
- data.ai estimates that anime games accounted for $1 of every $5 spent on mobile titles last year.
- In 2021, global player spending in anime games increased by 6% year-over-year.
- Japan is the number one country for anime titles, accounting for 15% of total installs and 55% of revenue.
- Player spending in anime games increased by 85%, 75%, and 70% in South Korea, the UK, and the US, respectively, since 2018.
- Last year, anime titles generated 658 million downloads globally, which is up 15% year-over-year.
- Downloads of anime titles increased by 170%, 30%, and 40% in South Korea, the UK, and the US, respectively, since 2018.
- Pokémon Go was the most downloaded anime game of 2021, followed by Genshin Impact, SAKURA School Simulator, Pokémon UNITE, and Gacha Life.
- Genshin Impact became the highest-grossing anime title last year, followed by Pokémon Go, Uma Musume Pretty Derby, Fate/Grand Order, and Monster Strike.
The full report with more data on genres, audiences, and other trends can be found here.