Newzoo has shared its forecast on the video game market for 2022. Analysts expect the global games industry revenues to pass the $200 billion mark for the first time ever.
Key takeaways from the report
- The global games market will reach $203.1 billion in player spending, which will be up 5.4% year-over-year.
- The number of players is expected to reach 3.09 billion users globally by the end of the year.
- The US will generate $50.5 billion, overtaking China, which is expected to reach $50.2 billion in consumer spending in 2022.
- Newzoo cites the ongoing crackdown on the games industry in China as the main reason for this shift.
- Mobile game revenues are expected to surpass the $100 million mark for the first time ever, which will be up 5.1% year-over-year.
- Asia-Pacific will remain the largest region by mobile gaming revenues despite an expected slowdown in China, Japan, and Korea.
- The console games market will generate $56.9 billion in 2022, which will be up 8.4% year-over-year.
- This growth is expected due to big first-party and third-party releases, a growing install base of new-gen consoles, and Sony’s planned upgrade of the PS Plus subscription.
- PC game revenues will reach $41 billion, which will be up 1.9% year-over-year. Newzoo cites a lack of big exclusives compared to consoles and no dominating subscription services among reasons behind the slow growth.