Microsoft has been trying to close the gap on Sony since the start of the latest console race. The Xbox Series X|S has strengthened its positions over the last months, with its total sales reaching almost 14 million units worldwide.
- According to data shared by business research firm VGChartz, there are 13,867,499 Xbox Series X|S consoles sold globally as of March 2022.
- Microsoft’s latest consoles are ahead of the Xbox One by 2.39 million when looking at sales data for similar post-launch periods.
- In comparison, the PlayStation 5 has sold 18,709,382 units worldwide over the last 17 months. It is 2.51 million units behind PS4 when aligning launches.
Image credit: VGChartz
- So the PS5 still leads the race, outperforming the Xbox Series X|S by 4.84 million units sold. Sony’s console has a global market share of 57.4% when compared to Microsoft’s devices.
- However, Xbox sold 240,335 more units than PlayStation last month, gradually closing the gap.
VGChartz provides estimates based on retail sampling and trends in individual countries, saying that its figures are usually within 10% of the actual numbers.