China remains the biggest and one of the fastest-growing games markets in the world. Experts expect it to account for almost the third of total games industry revenue in 2021.
Bing Li, business manager for premium games at XD Network, shared the data at PGC Digital, according to PocketGamer.biz. Here are key figures from his talk:
- In 2020, the Chinese games industry reached $43 billion in revenue (+20% year-over-year);
- In 2021, the Chinese market is expected to reach $49 billion in revenue, which would be 32% of global games revenue of $154 billion;
- XD Network expects the US games market to account for 20% of global revenue, with Europe ranking third with 15%;
- The mobile games industry had grown by 8 times in 6 years — from $4.2 billion in 2014 to $32.4 billion in 2020.
- GameRefinery releases its Q1 2021 report: RPGs’ market share declines in China and Japan, while Shooters rise in China
- Angry fan attempts to assassinate miHoYo co-founders over controversial update
- MARVEL Super War: NetEase’s chance to challenge Tencent in China’s mobile MOBA market
- Program announced for WN China