CD Projekt has shared the launch sales of Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty, also disclosing the game’s production and marketing budgets. Here is how these figures compare to the base game.
Phantom Liberty: sales and total budget
- According to a regulatory announcement on October 5, Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty has sold over 3 million copies across all platforms in its first week (from September 26 to October 3).
- Production costs of the expansion amounted to PLN 275 million ($62.8 million), plus CD Projekt spent around PLN 95 million ($21.7 million) on its marketing campaign. So the game’s total budget was PLN 370 million ($84.5 million).
- It is unclear how sales are split between platforms. CD Projekt also didn’t disclose revenue for Phantom Liberty, which is currently sold at $29.99 (not including regional prices).
- Meanwhile, Cyberpunk 2077 has already sold over 25 million copies globally. This is up 5 million from the 20 million figure the company reported in September 2022.
Welcome to Night City!
Current population: over 25 millions
Arasaka stands no chance.
Thank you all for your support! 💛 pic.twitter.com/clg6QrnneD
— Cyberpunk 2077 (@CyberpunkGame) October 5, 2023
Phantom Liberty compared to the base Cyberpunk 2077
- According to CD Projekt, Cyberpunk 2077 cost PLN 1.2 billion — $274 million, or $316 million at the exchange rate as of April 2021, when the company first disclosed this information.
- 55% of this sum was spent directly on development, or $150.7 million / $173.8 million (as of April 2021).
- Interestingly, marketing costs account for less than 26% of Phantom Liberty’s total budget, compared to 45% for the base game — hence the nearly 470% difference in marketing budgets between the two projects.
- The production costs of Cyberpunk 2077 were 140% higher than those of Phantom Liberty. And its total budget was 224% higher.
- This is no surprise given that Phantom Liberty is a DLC — albeit a fairly large one with a ton of new content — and not a full-fledged sequel.
- When it comes to sales, Cyberpunk 2077 reached 13 million copies sold in its first week, adding another 5 million units in the next 15 months. The game took nearly two years since its launch in December 2020 to hit the 20 million mark.
- While Phantom Liberty’s 3 million copies may pale in comparison to the base game’s colossal numbers, it is still a solid result for a $30 expansion. The only question is how it will perform in the long run.