Star Citizen still has no approximate release date, but its developer Cloud Imperium Games continues to receive massive support from players and enthusiasts. Here is everything to know about the game’s latest milestone.
- According to the official website, Cloud Imperium Games has raised $599,978,265. Given that Star Citizen raises tens and even hundreds of thousands of dollars daily, the $600 million mark can already be considered reached.
- Over 4.76 million people have participated in the crowdfunding campaign, with an average pledge of $126.
- Star Citizen surpassed $500 million in crowdfunding last September. So it took CIG around 11 months to raise another $100 million.
- According to CCU Game, users have already pledged $59 million towards the development of Star Citizen this year. June is the best month so far, with $19 million.
- 2022 remains the most successful year for the game, with $110 million raised through crowdfunding.
- Star Citizen is by far the most expensive game ever developed, even though not all companies disclose production and marketing costs for their titles.
- Other top AAA games in this category include Cyberpunk 2077, which had a total budget of PLN 1.2 billion (around $316 million at the April 2021 exchange rate), with around 55% ($173.8 million) spent directly on development.
- Earlier this year, it was also revealed that Horizon: Forbidden West and The Last of Us: Part II, one of Sony’s biggest console exclusives, cost over $200 million to develop each.
Despite massive support from the community, both Star Citizen and Squadron 42, a standalone single-player title featuring a cast of professional actors such as Mark Hamil and Andy Serkis, are far from being fully launched. Given the scope of its ambition, Cloud Imperium Game is unlikely to release their project anytime soon.