Warner Bros. Discovery has posted its financial report for the first quarter of 2023 ended March 31. Here is the latest data on the sales of Hogwarts Legacy.
- In its Q1 2023 report, WB Discovery announced that Hogwarts Legacy has generated over $1 billion in retail sales, from its February launch to March 31.
- The company called it the “largest release of all time for Warner Bros.” and the best-selling game year-to-date.
- In total, WB Discovery reached $10.7 billion in revenue in the first quarter. This means Hogwarts Legacy accounts for about 9.3% of the company’s earnings.
- The game has reached $850 million in revenue in its first two weeks, selling over 12 million units globally. So it took the latest Harry Potter title another month to cross the $1 billion mark.
- During the latest earnings call, WB Discovery CEO David Zaslav announced that the game has now sold over 15 million units globally (via VGC).
Released on February 10, Hogwarts Legacy had a strong debut in the UK. According to GfK’s boxed charts, its launch retail sales in the country were the best for any Harry Potter game and 64% higher than the previous best, 2001’s Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone.
Hogwarts Legacy also peaked at 879,308 concurrent players on Steam, ranking as the 8th most played game on the platform of all time.
According to GamesIndustry.biz head Christopher Dring, Avalanche Software’s latest title became the biggest game lunch in Europe outside of FIFA and Call of Duty since Red Dead Redemption 2. Its opening week was 56% higher in the region than Elden Ring.
Taking this data into account, Hogwarts Legacy is on track to end up as the highest-grossing video game of 2023 worldwide.