The remake of Resident Evil 4, which received acclaim from critics and players, has also become a commercial success. The game is now selling faster than Village and previous reimaginings of classic titles.
Capcom shared the news on its official website, saying that the Resident Evil 4 remake “has sold over 3 million units worldwide” across all platforms. It took the game only two days to reach this milestone, which is also one of the best launches in the company’s history.
The Japanese publisher also noted that total shipments of the Resident Evil series now exceed 135 million units (as of December 31, 2022).
Released on March 24, Resident Evil 4 also became the franchise’s biggest launch on Steam, peaking at 168,191 concurrent users (CCU). For comparison, Resident Evil Village peaked at 106k CCU, followed by the remakes of RE2 and RE3, which peaked at 74k and 60k CCU respectively.
Launch sales of previous major installments in the RE series
- Resident Evil Village — over 3 million units shipped* in its first four days, lifetime sales of 7.4 million copies**.
- Resident Evil 3 (remake) — 2 million units shipped in five days after release, lifetime sales of 6.4 million copies.
- Resident Evil 2 (remake) — 3 million units shipped in its first week, lifetime sales of 11.2 million copies.
- Resident Evil 7: Biohazard — over 2.5 million units shipped in its first days, lifetime sales of 11.7 million copies.
- Resident Evil 6 — initial shipments of over 4.5 million units, lifetime sales of 8.6 million copies.
- Resident Evil 5 — first-week shipment of over 4 million units, lifetime sales of 8.6 million copies.
- Resident Evil 4 (original) — over 3 million units of GameCube and PS2 versions shipped in the first 12 months, lifetime sales of 12.3 million copies (includes all versions for different platforms).
*Capcom usually reports shipments rather than sales. Although the two terms originally referred to different data, the difference is less relevant in an age of digital sales dominance.
**Lifetime sales data is taken from Capcom’s list of platinum titles
Taking this data into account, the Resident Evil 4 remake is already one of the fastest-selling, if not the fastest-selling, titles in franchise history. The game also has every chance of surpassing Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 7 in lifetime sales.