Google has revealed the winners of its 2022 Play Awards. Just like Apple did earlier this week, the company named Apex Legends Mobile the best game of the year.
Google said in a blog post that Apex Legends Mobile “rose through the Esports ranks, regularly trending and appearing in top 10 download lists throughout the year.” The game also won the Users’ Choice award.
Other winners include:
- Best Multiplayer — Dislyte
- Best Pick Up & Play — Angry Birds Journey
- Best Indies — Dicey Dungeons
- Best Story — Papers, Please
- Best on Play Pass — Very Little Nightmares
- Best for Tablets — Tower of Fantasy
On November 28, Apple also named the best apps and games of 2022. Apex Legends Mobile won the iPhone Game of the Year award. Moncage became the best game for iPad, while Inscryption was named the best game for Mac.
Apex Legends Mobile’s road to success
- Developed by Respawn Entertainment in collaboration with Tencent-owned studio Lightspeed & Quantum, Apex Legends Mobile was soft launched in 10 selected countries in February.
- The next month, the game reached over 7.5 million pre-registrations on Google Play.
- In its debut month, the mobile version of Electronic Arts’ battle royale hit $13 million in revenue on iOS and Android.
- According to AppMagic, Apex Legends Mobile has already grossed $35.1 million and reached 31.3 million downloads since its launch on May 17.
- Japan accounts for 43% of total player spending, followed by the US (32%), Thailand (3%), Malaysia (2%), and Canada (2%).