Sega Sammy Holdings has shared updated sales figures for Sonic the Hedgehod and its other gaming franchises. The company also released key financial results for the six months ended September 30.
- Sega shared the results for the first two fiscal quarters ended September 30. The company reported net sales of ¥150 billion ($1 billion), which is up 11.2% year-over-year.
- Sales of the Entertainment Contents division (video games, arcade machines, toys, and animation) amounted to ¥116.6 billion ($784.4 million).
- Other parts of Sega Sammy’s business include Pachinko Machines and Resort divisions.
- The company’s operating income was ¥9.5 billion ($63.8 million), down 34.7% year-over-year.
According to Sega’s 2022 integrated report (first spotted by GamesIndustry.biz), the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise reached 1.51 billion in cumulative sales as of March 2022. It is worth noting that this number includes sales of premium games and downloads of free-to-play titles (including mobile).
The company also noted that the Sonic series “stands at the center of Sega’s IP strategy, which continues to grow its popularity in overseas markets.” It expects the franchise to generate ¥25 billion ($154.6 million) in revenue during the fiscal year ending March 31, 2023.
Lifetime sales of Sega’s in-house games
Here are the sales figures for other Sega franchises (both acquired and in-house):
- Persona series — 15.5 million units (including free-to-play titles)
- Total War series — 40.4 million units
- Virtua Fighter series — 18.8 million units (including free-to-play and arcade titles)
- Ryu ga Gotoku series — 19.8 million units
- Football Manager series — 25 million units
- Shin Megami Tensei series — 19 million units (including free-to-play titles)
Sega plans to release 13 new games in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2023, with forecasted sales of around 13 million units.