Submissions are open for the 22nd annual Independent Games Festival (IGF). The entry deadline is September 30, 2019. The finalists announced in January 2020.
The event is organized by Informa Tech, operator of the 2020 Game Developers Conference (GDC).
The IGF is part of the Game Developers Conference 2020, which will take place from March 16 through March 20 in San Francisco.
Eight major awards will be handed out at the conference:
- Seumas McNally Grand Prize ($10,000)
- Excellence in Visual Art ($2,000)
- Excellence in Audio ($2,000)
- Excellence in Design ($2,000)
- Excellence in Narrative ($2,000)
- Nuovo Award ($2,000)
- Best Student Game ($2,000)
- Audience Award ($2,000)
For each award, six finalists will be selected, the only exception being Nuovo Award that eight finalists will compete for. The finalists that will not get any award will still receive a $1,000 stipend.
Finalists will be selected by hundreds of industry professionals. Dedicated juries will choose the winners of individual awards.
According the conference’s FAQ, this year, “Independent Games Festival organizers are particularly interested in receiving submissions from those making interesting or experimental works.”
Below is the selection schedule for IGF 2020:
- July 30, 2019 – Submissions are Open
- September 30, 2019 – Submission Deadline
- Early January, 2020 – IGF Finalists Announced
- March 16 – March 20, 2020 – Game Developers Conference 2020
- March 16 – March 17, 2020 – Independent Games Summit @ GDC 2020
- March 18 – March 20, 2020 – IGF Pavilion @ GDC 2020
- March 18, 2020 – IGF Awards Ceremony (Winners announced)
Indie developers from around the world are eligible. You can submit games (and more than one, too) across all platforms, including the titles that have already been released.