Bohemia Interactive has summed up 2022 by sharing some numbers for its hardcore survival title DayZ. Despite almost four years since its official launch, the game continues to draw millions of new players.
DayZ received four major updates in 2022 across PC, Xbox, and PlayStation, adding new weapons, a Livonia map update, and other changes and fixes.
Here are the key numbers that Bohemia shared in a blog post:
- The game broke the all-time concurrent player record on PC, peaking at 58,523 concurrent players in April;
- On Octber 23, DayZ peaked at 184,000 DAU on PC, 119,000 on Xbox, and 87,000 on PlayStation;
- More than 3.9 million new players joined DayZ from Janyar to November;
- The community created over 17,000 mods;
- Over 30,000 cheaters were banned in 2022, bringing the total number to 100,000.
DayZ was originally a mod for ARMA 2 created by Dean Hall. In 2012, he joined Bohemia Interactive to help the company develop a standalone game. After a chaotic production, DayZ came out in Early Access on Steam in 2013.
The game became a commercial success, selling over 400,000 units in its first week. It reached 1 million copies sold within a month. DayZ was released out of Early Access in 2018, with console launches coming later. However, the total player base of the game remains undisclosed.
In its latest blog post, Bohemia Interactive noted that it has no plans to stop supporting DayZ and promised to provide an update on its future in the first quarter of 2023.