British police have arrested a 17-year-old teen on suspicion of hacking. Details are yet to be disclosed, but the boy might be connected to the recent GTA VI and Uber leaks.
The City of London Police arrested a 17-year-old in Oxfordshire on September 22. He is suspected of hacking and remains in custody.
According to the official statement, the arrest is a part of an investigation launched by the UK’s National Cyber Crime Unit (NCCU).
On the evening of Thursday 22 September 2022, the City of London Police arrested a 17-year-old in Oxfordshire on suspicion of hacking, as part of an investigation supported by the @NCA_UK’s National Cyber Crime Unit (NCCU).
He remains in police custody. pic.twitter.com/Zfa3OlDR6J
— City of London Police (@CityPolice) September 23, 2022
It is unclear what charges could be brought against the teen. As reported by Reuters, the police are now investigating the Lapsus$ hacking group responsible for several notorious cyber attacks.
The list of their crimes includes the hacking of Microsoft, Nvidia, Samsung, and the recent attacks on Uber and Rockstar Games.
Is this teen the same person who leaked GTA VI?
- According to journalist Matthew Keys, the arrest of the 17-year-old boy might be connected to the GTA VI leak. It was also made in concert with an investigation conducted by the FBI.
UPDATE: Arrest of 17-year-old by police in the United Kingdom over hack of Rockstar and possibly Uber was done in concert with an investigation conducted by the FBI, according to a source with knowledge of the matter.
— Matthew Keys (@MatthewKeysLive) September 23, 2022
- The City of London Police and the FBI are expected to provide more details on the matter later.
- In March, UK police arrested seven teens, including a 16-year-old autistic boy from Oxford, who goes by the monikers “White”, “Breachbase”, and, allegedly, “Teapotuberhacker”.
- He, along with another 17-year-old teen, were charged with their involvement in the Lapsus$ group, but were bailed ahead of a trial scheduled for July 2023.
- On September 18, Teapotuberhacker leaked over 90 videos from the early version of GTA VI and claimed that he was also responsible for the Uber hack. A couple of hacking websites later identified him as this 16-year-old boy from Oxford arrested earlier this year.
- So he might also be the same person that was arrested yesterday in connection with the Lapsus$ group. However, this information is yet to be confirmed by the NCCU or the FBI.