Tencent has invested in over 120 companies in the first half of 2022. It helped the Chinese tech giant become the fourth most active VC firm globally.
That’s according to the latest report by Hurun Research Institute, which ranked venture capitalists by the number of investments they made during the first six months of 2022.
- US VC firm Sequoia Capital leads the list with 328 investments in “unicorns” (companies valued at over $1 billion) and “gazelles” (companies valued between $500k and $1 billion) across the globe.
- It is followed by Japan’s SoftBank and New York-based Tiger Global with 217 and 196 investments, respectively.
- Tencent, which is the only gaming-related company on the list, comes in fourth place with 122 investments. According to Hurun, the Chinese tech giant has already backed over 1,300 companies globally to date.
- Other VC firms in the top 10 include CICC, Y Combinator, Andreessen Horowitz, and Lightspeed.
- Overall, Hurun Research found 1,312 “unicorns” and 621 “gazelles” in the world.
- 71% of all venture capitalists are based in the US, followed by China (21%), Singapore (3%), the UK (2%), and France (less than 1%).
For more information about world’s leading unicorns and VC firms, check out the full report.