These figures are reported by Newzoo in their latest report . The company is predicting an increase in the market’s revenue and the number of gamers. Here is the most important stats from the document:
Revenues by segment
- The largest segment is mobile games. They will have generated $77.2 billion by the end of the year (an increase of 13.3%).
- The console segment will grow 6.8% to $45.2 billion.
- The PC segment will grow to $33.9 billion, which is 6.7% more than last year’s revenue.
- Revenues for browser games will drop 13.4% to $33.9 billion. Newzoo notes that more and more players are switching from browsers to smartphones.
Revenues by region
- Asia will generate $78.4 billion accounting for 49% of the global market’s revenue this year.
- North America is second with a projected revenue of $40 billion.
- Spending by European players will reach $ 29.6 billion, making Europe with third biggest market by revenue.
- In total, by the end of the year, there will be 2.7 billion gamers in the world. Compared to last year, their number will increase by 5.3%.
- By December, the number of mobile players will reach 2.5 billion. 1.3 billion will play on PCs and 800 million on consoles.
- More than half of the audience is from the Asia-Pacific region. This is 1.5 billion people. The region is followed by Europe with 386 million gamers, then North America with 210 million.
- 3 billion people playing games by the year 2023.